Scenes From the Past: Tunstall Windmill
Tunstall Windmill was a corn mill.
It was built in 1813 on land that became known as Millfields which was on the northside of Roundwell Street between America Street and Dunning Street.
A track led from America Street to the mill which at one time was surrounded by a circular loading bay where carts were loaded and unloaded.
The mill is mentioned by W. J. Harper in his book “By-Gone Tunstall” that was published in 1913.
In this edited extract from the book, Harper writes:
Of course, there were no houses near the mill in the earlier years of its history, save three one storey workmen’s cottages seen on the left of the drawing. In later years the mill yard was fenced in, and gardens were provided for the cottagers . . . When the mill went into disuse the corn room was used as a practice room by members of Tunstall’s drum and fife band.
Harper knew John Bickley, a member of the band, who remembered rehearsing in the corn room. John told him that a man and his wife lived at the mill. One evening the couple began to argue. During the row, the woman walked out. She didn’t come back, and her husband spent the night alone in the mill.
There was an old mine shaft nearby which was full of water. The next morning, her body was found in the shaft. She had committed suicide.
The mill was demolished in 1855.