Home » Education
Category Archives: Education
Spotlight on Stoke is researching the history of education in Tunstall for its new series Focus on Tunstall, and we shall be writing posts about all the schools in the town including:
- St. Mary’s Schools
- The Catholic School in Oldcourt Street
- Summerbank Road Schools
- Tunstall High School for Girls
- Brownhills High School
- High Street Schools
- Forster Street Schools
Most of the schools that were built in Tunstall during the 19th century have been demolished.
If you were educated in Tunstall and have any photographs of the school you attended or would like to share memories of your school days with Spotlight email firstname.lastname@example.org
Spotlight on Stoke is delighted to learn that Stoke-on-Trent College will be running A’ level courses again after a gap of 18 years.
During the late 1950s and early 1960s, The Elms and Stoke-on-Trent College of Commerce (two of the colleges that were amalgamated to create Cauldon College which later became Stoke-on-Trent College) started to run full and part-time GCE O’ and A’ level courses. These courses were successful and attracted students from Staffordshire, Cheshire and Shropshire.
Students who took A’ levels at colleges of further education in The Potteries continued their studies at Britain’s leading universities and became accountants, barristers, psychologists, solicitors, teachers and university lecturers.
We are sure that students following the new A’ level courses at Stoke-on-Trent College will be just as successful. Everyone at Spotlight wishes them well and will be following their progress with interest.
We hope the college will expand the range of A’ level subjects offered when the courses are established giving more local students the opportunity to go to university or to enter higher education.
Until school boards were established by the Education Act 1870, the state did not make any provision for the education of working-class children.
What little education they received had to be paid for by their parents, although there were a few free places reserved for them in the grammar schools at Leek, Newchapel, Stafford, Stone and Uttoxeter.
By the end of the 17th century, Newcastle-under-Lyme had a grammar school, where 39 boys were educated free of charge. There was also a dame school, which was financed by the town council. The school had free places for up to 20 girls.
In 1808, nonconformist educationalist Joseph Lancaster founded the British and Foreign Schools Society to give financial help to free churches who were building day schools at home and missionary schools overseas.
Fearing that the British Schools would monopolise elementary education in the new industrial towns, the Church of England set up the National Society for the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church throughout England and Wales.
During 1814, the National Society opened its first school in North Staffordshire at Chesterton.
The first British School in The Potteries was erected in Burslem by the Wesleyans. The parish church, St. John’s, opened a National School in 1817 and by 1822 the Roman Catholic Church had built a school at Cobridge.
Many teachers were not well educated or well trained. Pupils who wanted to become teachers stayed at school until their early teens and became apprentice teachers. Called monitors, the apprentices were supervised by the headteacher and allowed to teach younger pupils. After a few years, monitors who had successfully completed their training and could maintain discipline were employed as assistant teachers.
During 1846, the government made regulations governing teacher training. Under these rules, boys and girls who had stayed at school until they were 13 could be appointed pupil teachers.
Pupil teachers were apprenticed to the headteacher for five years. At the end of each year, they were examined by the school inspectors. When their apprenticeship ended, pupil teachers took the Queen’s Scholarship examination.
Those who passed with the highest marks were given a grant which enabled them to go to a teacher training college and become fully qualified certificated teachers. Other pupil teachers who passed the examination were offered employment as uncertificated assistant teachers. Only certificated teachers could obtain headships. Uncertificated teachers remained assistant teachers throughout their careers. Many secured positions at the school where they had been educated and taught there until they retired.
Copyright Betty Cooper – The Phoenix Trust 2013